When will they ever learn?

On Friday, June 19, a full page ad in Haaretz weekly supplement caught my eye. Okay, maybe it didn't exactly "catch my eye" – I've already made it clear that I'm a compulsive ad-and-label reader.

The ad was for Pitaro office furniture, and showed a young man languidly relaxing (what's the matter? Doesn't he have any work to do??) in the latest model office chair, referred to in Israel often as "kisseh menahalim" – literally, a manager's chair. (What's the matter – don't other employees deserve a good chair that will protect their backs??)

Forget the fact that the fellow in the picture is entertaining himself with paper airplanes, his office and desk suspiciously bare, bereft of any "work" aside from a token laptop. The ad was visually "clean", no clutter, no blah-blah-yadda-yadda.
Good idea. Keep it simple. One or two punchy sentences, that's all you need.
And the punchy title goes:
Loose your body, free your mind

Huh?...

Is that New English that I am not aware of, or is it yet another example of the incompetence of client and advertising agency combined?
I wrote to the client, Pitaro, and to the advertising agency – Almog Dvir. (Beware - their website is one of the most annoying ever.)

A friendly guy from Pitaro hastened to thank me profusely for my comment, and explained that they meant something along the lines of hang loose, relax your body, loosen up. They'd speak to the advertising agency, he wrote, and would take care of it.
The agency in question replied very curtly: Got it. Thanks for your comment. Will fix as needed.

A week went by.
A second ad in the same vein appeared on the following Friday, June 26. This time, the guy was blowing bubbles; his office and desk, too, are unnervingly clean and tidy, with only hints of any "work".

Had the text been corrected? You're kidding.

1 comments:

Yam Erez said...

I'd xlate *kisei minhalim* (I agree, an obnoxious concept) "executive chair". Answer to "When Will They Learn?": Never. An English menu at a restaurant I ate at recently said they use the "best raw materials". Who even says that in Hebrew about food (*chomrei gelem*)? I'm picturing lumber, iron ore, petroleum...yum yum!

Post a Comment